Sunday, January 20, 2008

My First Blog Post

I recently joined a knitting and crocheting online community (Ravelry) that allows knitters and crocheters to share projects, yarns, patterns, ideas, and much more. I have been posting my projects there for a few weeks, and now realize that I need more space to track my progress and make comments as I go. In reading fellow Raveler's blogs, I decided to start my own.

While setting up this blog I thought, "Why write about only one of my favorite things?" And so, "Hip Dropped Stitches" is born. I may write about knitting. I may write about dancing. I may write about the silly thing my cat did this morning. The possibilities are endless.

Since this is my first blog post, I will include a brief history of my knitting and dancing experiences.

I just started knitting during the fall of 2006, when my boyfriend's sister taught me how to knit a roll-bottom hat. I was THRILLED with the results, and made myself a second hat. Then, I taught myself how to do ribbing, and made my brother a rib-bottomed hat for Christmas. I bought yarn for a hat for my boyfriend, but that project was set aside for a bit. This winter, I completed the hat for my boyfriend, and decided to knit something other than a hat. Since then, I've learned how to knit cables, thumb holes, and a few other neat tricks. I am looking forward to starting my first sweater this weekend. It is all very exciting.

I started dancing when... well, probably before I started walking. I studied ballet for a long time, but my body did not approve of being "en pointe" for long. Discouraged, I took a break from dance for about 10 years. Then, last fall, one of my favorite women invited me to a bellydance workshop. The woman who led the workshop demonstrated such passion for the art form, and described its origin so beautifully, that I signed up for the next session of classes without hesitation. The more I read and learn about the dance, the more I love it. If you are curious about it at all, I highly recommend the book "Grandmother's Secrets, The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dance" by Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi.

That is probably all of the background you need (or want) for now. With that said, welcome to my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever show me the hip skirt? It's Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore my hat yesterday!

    ReplyDelete