Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ah... much better...

I look forward to Tuesday nights all week long. I drive to the studio, take off my shoes and socks, tie on my hip scarf, and join a group of inspiring women for an hour of dancing. It is an amazing combination of sinking inside myself, and being outwardly expressive at the same time.

However, in January, I moved up to the next level of class. There are far more experienced dancers in this class… and Eric and Amos of Okbari are playing live music… and it is all a little overwhelming… For the first three weeks, I could not get out of my own head. Improvisation is a huge part of bellydance, but I was completely freezing up every time. I could feel the blood rushing to my face and ears as my turn neared… and I felt as though my body had forgotten everything it had learned.

But tonight… tonight was much better. We worked on improv for almost the entire class, focusing on isolations, and expressiveness. I was finally able to stop thinking about everyone else in the room, and be comfortable inside myself, and let my body move to the rhythms and melodies. It was awesome.

I cannot wait for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment