Thursday, April 10, 2008

Costume from Scratch

Sigh... I ordered more yarn for my Duchess Raglan sweater...

In the meantime, I have another exciting project on my mind. Jamileh produces a studio show each spring. For my class, she has choreographed a Turkish piece to Okbari's Rompi Rompi. That means I need a Turkish, folk-ish, gypsy-ish costume. I have decided to test my sewing skills by making this costume from scratch. I need a circle skirt, a coin hip scarf, and a Turkish vest over a bra top. Yes, I know that sounds like a lot of work! The show is at the end of June, so I need to get started as soon as possible. I started doing research online this evening and found great ideas, instruction, and advice.

Shira offers detailed instructions for making a circle skirt on her website. I will modify her design slightly so that my skirt will be two full circles and more than one color.

Atira has great patterns for all types of costume pieces. For this costume, I particularly like her version of the Turkish vest. I am hoping to use one of the fabrics in the skirt so everything coordinates nicely.

I think the most difficult piece of the costume will be the bra top. I purchased the first three books in the Costume Goddess series and am hoping to find inspiration and instruction there. I hope they arrive soon... I want to get started!

The next step is to choose fabric. Shira's website contains what seems to be good advice on this subject. I ordered some swatches today, and am eager for them to arrive. Below is a collage of the swatches...

I hope I can pull this off!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!
    I *Love* Rompi Rompi...two of my classes performed it at different shows we did in Bangor. And one student I had moved back to Finland and taught it to her students there (how cool is that?)

    There are lots of great costumers in your area, you should be able to find lots of help if you need it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete