Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Engineering A Costume: Part 2

I finished the rough draft of my circle skirt... I am glad that I did a rough draft! I cut the fabric using the schematic in this post and the majority of my calculations were correct. The waist ended up larger than I originally wanted, so I will change that for the final product. Also, in the process of creating this skirt, I figured out ways to measure more accurately, cut more smoothly, and sew more efficiently. I wish I had a practice run for everything in life. I am feeling confident that I can produce the final product as I had planned.

Look at the volume in this skirt! As you can see, I did not bother hemming this version. That would be a lot of work for a practice skirt (over 13 yards of hem line). I wore this to class last night to see if I liked the way it swooshed and twirled with our choreography. I am extremely pleased with it. The next step is to cut in the the real fabric. Stay tuned!.

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I envy your sewing prowess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very nice. I don't sew, unless you call crooked fabric cuts and little uneven stitches and bloody fingers sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skirt looks great! And it's only the rough draft. :) I can't wait to see it in the real fabric!

    ReplyDelete