Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Solo Debut

Last night was my solo debut dancing to Okbari's live music at Blue. Amos and Eric of Okbari play at Blue the first Friday of every month from 10 pm to midnight. They are usually accompanied by two or three dancers who will each dance to two or three songs throughout the evening. For the dancers, it is completely improvised.

A few weeks ago, Jamileh asked me if I would like to dance on the first Friday of May. Being given the opportunity was more of a compliment than I can express. I accepted after a few moments of nervous inner dialog and receiving encouragement from Jamileh.

The first Friday of May was last night... it was incredible.

I loved every moment of it. Getting into costume... arriving at the venue... being welcomed by Kimberly (one of my classmates who also danced last night), Eric, and Amos... being backstage with Jamileh... dancing through the crowd to the front of the room... the melodies of Amos' oud... dancing... the rhythms of Eric's doumbek... dancing... seeing friendly faces in the audience... performing... improvising... dancing...

I am so grateful to have had this opportunity, and am completely looking forward to the next.

Thank you to my honey, family, and friends who were the smiling, friendly faces in the audience. You guys are the best.

Photos courtesy of Gary Amara Photography.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I had realized! I would have been there... you look like you had a great time!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! That is so amazing. Learning to improvise is one of my goals for this year, and it is scary to think of doing it in front of an audience. But you obviously had a great time! What a lovely smile :) Kudos!

    ReplyDelete