Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Always Fantabulous Portland Area Studio Show

Jamileh's Always Fantabulous Portland Area Studio Show was on Sunday evening and it exceeded all of my expectations.

First, I needed to do a practice run of hair, makeup and costumes the day before the show. I did not want any malfunctions or mishaps on stage. My Honey and I drove down to the water for a little photo shoot so now you may finally see my finished costumes. I made the skirt and tops, but purchased the harem pants and hip scarves. I am really pleased with the end results.

When I arrived on Sunday afternoon, I was the only one in the auditorium. I put down my things and quietly (as if I might disturb someone?) climbed onto the stage. I looked out into where the audience would later be and took a couple of deep breaths. I could not help but smile. It was the perfect way to start the evening.

I gathered my things and found my way to the dressing room where I found a friend who had arrived before me. I put the finishing touches on my solo costume and returned to the auditorium to find more dancers had arrived. I was excited to meet dancers who I had seen perform but never met in person.

Jamileh arrived and we ran through each performance on stage for the first time. We all cheered for and encouraged each other. It was the perfect way to spend the hours before the performance.

After the dress rehearsal, we all gathered in the dressing room while the auditorium was opened to the audience and shortly after that the performance began.

My solo was the fifth number in the program, so I almost immediately needed to be waiting in the wings. Using a breathing technique that Jamileh taught me, I was able to keep my nerves relatively in check. The lights dimmed, and I took the stage. The next four minutes and 43 seconds seemed to fly by. I only have flashes of memories of what the auditorium looked like from the stage, but I quite strongly remember what it felt like. I get goosebumps when I think about it. I think I love performing.

Our group piece was the finale for the show. I think we performed it better than we ever did in class or rehearsal. The energy in the auditorium was incredible, and it was such great fun.

Thank you to Jamileh, all of the FANTABULOUS dancers, and my family and friends who were in the audience. You all made the evening one to remember.

An extra special thanks to My Honey who has been endlessly supportive through the craziness that has been the past couple of weeks. This is what I found on the kitchen table when we returned home after the performance...

Photos (with the exception of the flowers) by Gary Amara Photography.

2 comments:

  1. Your solo was with zylls?!?! That is super amazing!

    Your costumes are great, and I especially like the turning shot of the skirt. :) You were beautiful and look like you're having fun!

    I'm so glad the show and the whole weekend went well, and kudos to your honey for the flowers! They brought a little tear to my eye... that's so sweet.

    p.s. love the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pics are awesome hopefully I will be able to catch a show next time I am in town.

    ReplyDelete