Friday, August 8, 2008

I Just Wanna Bang On My Drum All Day

A little lunchtime rambling...

It has been raining in Maine for two years... okay, two weeks... but it feels like longer than that. The barometric pressure is yo-yo-ing which makes my head hurt. When it is cold and damp I am reminded of every old sprain, surgery, and muscle tear. It was pouring and thundering when it was time for me to leave for work this morning, and I really wanted to stay home and cuddle with My Honey and my cats... and knit... and play my new drum...


My Honey spoiled me on my birthday last weekend, and one of my presents was a new doumbek! I like the way it feels. I love the way it sounds. I am a very happy girl. I want to go home and play it.

~~~~~~~~

I picked up my knitting bag as I was leaving this morning, but it was pouring and I already had my hands full. I decided to put it back down and I left with out it. At about 9:15 am, I looked down and noticed a hole in my pants right about where a front pocket would typically be (these pants have a seam at that location instead). I emailed two of my friends at work who happen to be knitters to see if either of them might have a needle and thread. Chick That Knits was the first to respond with a needle and some cotton yarn that could be pulled apart to make thread. I ran to the ladies room to get to work. I completed three stitches before the yarn-thread broke under the strain of being pulled through the fabric. At just that moment, there was a knock on the door. It was Keeping Myself In Stitches! She also had a needle and real thread. I gladly accepted the already-threaded-needle under the door and started over. I stitched quickly and with a caffeinatedly shaky hand. From a distance, no one will notice. Up close, they look like franken-pants... light khaki with dark stitches. There are several morals to this story.

  • Never leave home with out your knitting bag.
  • Never leave home with out your camera. (Pictures of separating cotton yarn for thread and the resulting franken-pants would make this blog post much more interesting.)
  • Whenever you need rescuing, go to your friends who knit.
  • Trust your instincts. When you feel like you should stay home and bang on your drum all day, do it.

1 comment:

  1. At least it's Friday... and we can go get a drink soon (well... sort of soon).

    I should have bought you one of those mini sewing kits for your birthday ;)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete