Monday, September 22, 2008

The Common Ground Fair

My Honey and I ventured to Unity, Maine on Saturday to spend a couple of hours at The Common Ground Fair. I quickly learned that a couple of hours is not enough time at this Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association sponsored fair!

We began by rushing to the sheep dog demonstration. We arrived just in time despite the outrageously long line of traffic waiting to enter. Have you ever seen these highly trained border collies herd sheep? How about ducks? It is very impressive! At the end of the demonstration the men let the dogs know that they were done working and it was now okay to play. They ran around the rink chasing Frisbees and balls without giving the sheep a second glance. Two of the dogs even jumped up into the arms of the men looking for a little playful affection. It seems they have a good life.

Next, we made our way over to the farm animals. My Honey bought a new camera this year, so on Saturday, he started teaching me how to use his old one. He adjusted the settings for me, then I started snapping away (in between ooh-ing and ahh-ing and petting the friendly ones). I think I took approximately 70 pictures which resulted in four that I really like. What is that, 6%? I guess I need to practice!


By the time we saw all of the animals and enjoyed delicious hand-cut french fries and lemonade, it was time to leave! There were myriads of fiber vendors that I would have loved to see. Next year, I think we'll plan to arrive first thing in the morning to allow time for that. Still, it was a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! I had decided that THIS was my year to finally attend the Common Ground Fair... alas, it was not meant to be.

    Next year! I am sad that you didn't get to check out fiber... but glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete