Wednesday, November 19, 2008

From The Other Side

If you are a loyal reader of this blog, then you know that My Honey and I have been studying Middle Eastern Rhythms and learning to play the doumbek for about a year. My original intent was to gain a better understanding of the rhythms and the music which could only enhance my ability to dance to it. I thought that perhaps a year of lessons would teach me enough of the basics. It certainly has... and so much more... and now I do not want to stop.

If you are a loyal reader of this blog, then you also know that our drum teacher makes up one half of Okbari, who plays live music for my dance class. Because of this, he arranged for our drum class to play for our dance class last night. He asked us (in pairs) to prepare a little piece to play, and then we would all play something basic together giving each of us a chance to improvise for a few measures. It was very informal, but I was still nervous for some reason. Most importantly, it was very fun. I cannot stop thinking about how interesting it was to be on the other side of that class... the same class that I dance in every week seemed so different when I was playing instead of dancing... watching the dancers while we played the rhythms... there is something very cool about that... something that I cannot seem to express in written words right now. I hope I get the chance to do that again sometime.

Last night ended this session of drum classes, and the point of all this is... I cannot discontinue drum lessons at this point. It is too much fun... and too integrated in my enjoyment of the dance... There must be something else I can give up to ensure enough time practice both... sleep, perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. I saw the video of you and Geep playing the doumbek on Facebook - it looks like a lot of fun. I can see why you like it. I used to play the clarinet, bass clarinet, flute, and piano and even considered being a music major. I miss it sometimes. Music is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete