Sunday, February 22, 2009

My New Best Friends

Each time I have worked on hand-sewing embellishments on my belt, I have only been able to work for about an hour before my index finger was screaming. I know, it sounds silly, but the dull end of the needle is still quite pointy, and pushing it through all of those layers is tough! I tried a traditional thimble, but lost all dexterity and found it impossible. I posted my dilemma in a forum I read regularly and the lovely and talented participants gave great advice. Today, I purchased my two new best friends.

First, the leather thimble...
20090222_ThimbleI know, it is not pretty, but it is flexible, allows me to push the needle through with no irritation to my finger, and even adds a little bit of a grip when trying to pull the needle through the other side. I am in love! Although, after looking at its construction, I might make one for myself that fits a little bit better (and is perhaps not so ugly).


Next, the needle puller...
20090222_NeedlePullerThese little flower-shaped flexible rubber discs add a nice grip when trying to pull the needle through a tough spot.


With these two new tools, I was able to add another swirl to my belt in no time. This project will progress much more quickly now. It is coming along...

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I would worry about a thimble being ugly ;) lol...

    But I'm glad this is going better fo ryou now! The belt is really coming along!!

    ReplyDelete