Monday, June 22, 2009

The 2009 Always Fantabulous Portland Area Studio Show II

The 2009 Always Fantabulous Portland Area Studio Show took place last Wednesday, June 17th. The show is produced each year by my teacher, Jamileh. The entire evening was spectacular! I am continuously amazed by the loveliness of our local dance community. Not only is it filled with beautiful and talented dancers, but also the most wonderful women I know. I am so very grateful to be a part of it.


Photos by Gary Amara Photography.

The first photos are of my solo. I finished the costume I have been working on, and it turned out even better than I had hoped (more detailed photos in a future post). I wore it with my wings and danced to Akhadni Maaha by The Al-Ahram Orchestra. I am getting less and less nervous on stage, and having more and more fun. Thanks to my generous friend, Melissa, I have video I can share with you.



I think this piece is symbolic of my journey in dance over this past year. Since I was a little girl, I always felt like I was meant to have wings, and I am starting to feel like I do. I am grateful for my teachers, mentors, and fellow dancers, all I have learned from them, and all of their encouragement.

The last two photos in the slide show above are from our group piece which closed the show. We danced to a beautiful song, Uskadar, played by Okbari live on stage. It starts with an oud taqsim... builds into a slow and beautiful melody... and finishes with a frenzy! It is impossible to not be moved by this song... and dancing to it, live, was amazing. Thank you to Okbari and the lovely dancers who I was fortunate enough to share the stage with.

And of course, I cannot conclude this post with out thanking my friends and family who attended! Seeing you in the audience makes the experience so much sweeter. And, My Honey, you amaze me with your generousity, patience, and support. I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment