Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Details of My First Handmade Bedlah

As promised... the details of my first handmade bedlah...

This project spanned over eight months, from sketching the design to completion. The finished product is worth every hour and every stitch.

I began this project after reading several books by the Costume Goddess. Almost everything is made from scratch. My aunt helped me with making the belt pattern which yielded a belt that fits perfectly. The bra cups were purchased, but all other pieces are constructed and assembled by me. Both are covered in blue stretch velvet... silver cording is hand stitched into place... Swarovski pearls and crystals are adhered, and a white beaded fringe attached. Every connection point is sewn twice to ensure no failure... the same is true for every hook and snap. The white underskirt was purchased from L. Rose Designs (for a previous costume), but I made the overskirt of light blue silk georgette. Inside the belt are loops which snap around the waistband of the skirts to hold everything in place. I also deconstructed my isis wings and made a new collar to coordinate with this costume (the wings snap into place so I can make a new collar for every costume).



The finished product in action...

Photo by Gary Amara Photography.

1 comment: