Thursday, January 14, 2010

On teaching...

I finished my first session of belly dance classes as a teacher at the beginning of December. I could not be happier with my decision to pursue the opportunity. Belly dance has become an incredibly important part of every day of my life, and through it I have learned how to better find myself, be myself, and express myself... I have learned how to be more compassionate, and more encouraging of myself and others... I have a new appreciation for our connection to previous generations, and other cultures... I have found friendship and community in amazing and inspiring women... and this is all in addition to the simple joy of dancing! Whether I am dancing by myself, with my friends, classmates, or students, or for an audience, I am filled with a type of joy that I cannot find by other means. It is truly an honor to have the opportunity to share this with others!

I have another session beginning this Thursday, and in preparation, I held an introductory workshop on Saturday afternoon. I was thrilled to have 10 wonderful women in attendance, and grateful for the energy that filled the room. I dare say that they may have discovered the joy of belly dance! At the very least, they were smiling and holding their heads high... and that makes me smile, and hold my head high... Thank you to my teachers, my students, my friends, and all those who have encouraged me in this endeavor!

ETA: I intended to post this on Monday... pending a quick spelling and grammar check... and all of a sudden it is Thursday... my class begins tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment