I almost always wear the same black skirt when performing in a more casual setting. I love the black skirt... it fits perfectly and is extremely comfortable... but I have been wishing I had more options. It seemed like a simple enough shape, so I decided to try to duplicate it.
I began by pulling out some muslin fabric to trace a pattern. Samson thought I was making a play space for him...
... I let him roll around for a minute (he was very cute), then ran the lint brush over the muslin, and really began. I folded the muslin in half length-wise, and did the same with my black skirt. I lined up the folded edges and placed the skirt on top of the muslin.
Using a fabric marker, I marked around the edges of the skirt.
I used rulers and curves to create clean lines...
... and then cut the shape out of the muslin.
Because this was my first attempt, I reached for the green stretch velvet that I purchased at a yard sale for 50 cents. I fold it in half length-wise twice, and placed the pattern on top (lining up the folded edges).
As you can see, I did not have quite enough fabric for the full width of the skirt at the bottom. I thought it would be just fine if it were a little less flared at the bottom, and folded the pattern accordingly. Next, I cut one half inch around the pattern.
I placed the right sides of the two cut pieces together, and pinned.
It took no time at all to sew the side seams and try on the skirt. Perfect fit! I reinforced the seems and trimmed the edges. Next, I measured some elastic and pinned it to the right side of the top of the skirt.
I used a zig-zag stitch to sew in the elastic, flipped it to the inside, used the zig-zag stitch again to tack it down, and...
Now that I have a pattern and know it works, I hope to make a nice selection of these skirts! I have some black velvet with fuchsia and gold flowers that I think will be beautiful.