Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sewing a Skirt on a Saturday

I almost always wear the same black skirt when performing in a more casual setting.  I love the black skirt...  it fits perfectly and is extremely comfortable...  but I have been wishing I had more options.  It seemed like a simple enough shape, so I decided to try to duplicate it.

I began by pulling out some muslin fabric to trace a pattern.  Samson thought I was making a play space for him...

DSC04054_web

...  I let him roll around for a minute (he was very cute), then ran the lint brush over the muslin, and really began.  I folded the muslin in half length-wise, and did the same with my black skirt.  I lined up the folded edges and placed the skirt on top of the muslin.

DSC04059_web

Using a fabric marker, I marked around the edges of the skirt.

DSC04060_web

I used rulers and curves to create clean lines...

DSC04061_web

... and then cut the shape out of the muslin. 

DSC04062_web

Because this was my first attempt, I reached for the green stretch velvet that I purchased at a yard sale for 50 cents.  I fold it in half length-wise twice, and placed the pattern on top (lining up the folded edges).

DSC04063_web

As you can see, I did not have quite enough fabric for the full width of the skirt at the bottom.  I thought it would be just fine if it were a little less flared at the bottom, and folded the pattern accordingly.  Next, I cut one half inch around the pattern.

DSC04064_web

I placed the right sides of the two cut pieces together, and pinned.

DSC04066_web

It took no time at all to sew the side seams and try on the skirt.  Perfect fit!  I reinforced the seems and trimmed the edges.  Next, I measured some elastic and pinned it to the right side of the top of the skirt.

DSC04070_web

I used a zig-zag stitch to sew in the elastic, flipped it to the inside, used the zig-zag stitch again to tack it down, and...

DSC04075_web
I have a green velvet skirt!  I love it...  and especially love that it cost 50 cents, a couple of hours, and however much the elastic cost (which I already had).
Now that I have a pattern and know it works, I hope to make a nice selection of these skirts!  I have some black velvet with fuchsia and gold flowers that I think will be beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. omg... seriously... jealous... "green velvet" with envy :)

    Can't wait to see that gorgeous floral fabric in this!!!

    (and the tongue sticking out on Sampson is too adorable)

    (LOL... an aside... the "word verification" is glyear... have they been in our software????)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Positively Brilliant! Have I told you how much I adore you? I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome!!!
    I would start out with plans like yours and end up with a disaster! I can't wait to see this skirt danced in person.
    Nasreen : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! As always, impressed by your sewing skills :)

    ReplyDelete