This weekend, I finished my first dress made from BurdaStyle's Anda pattern.
You can see my project on BurdaStyle here. I started by cutting the size 38 (the smallest available) and making a muslin. It was much too big, so I took 1.5 inches off of each side of the front and back pieces, brought the shoulders in 1 inch each, and took the hem up 1.5 inches. The pattern calls for the waist band casing to be on the outside, and to use a drawstring. I placed the casing on the inside and used elastic.
In the past, I have not worried too much about what the "wrong side" of my projects look like. As I move towards creating pieces to work into my every day wardrobe, I want to be sure that edges and seams are finished nicely, both for aesthetics and for quality construction. For this dress, I trimmed each seam and zig-zagged the edges. I also stitched the hem by hand to avoid the line of stitches across the bottom that the machine would leave. (There is a blind hem stitch on my machine, but hand stitching seemed like the better option with this fabric.)
This fabric is one I found at one of the annual Salvation Army Fabric sales, for which I likely paid less than 25 cents. It is a very lightweight knit, and smooth to the touch.
I love how easy this dress is to wear and that it is comfortable, yet still shows my shape. I think this dress can easily go from day to night (and is appropriate for the office), and looks nice with boots, dress shoes, and sandals. I think one of my favorite things about this dress is that the waistline is in exactly the right place. This is not often the case for me with ready-to-wear dresses, and a huge benefit of sewing my own clothes! Now that I have the pattern fitted properly, it will be easy to make a couple more of these in different fabrics, and perhaps with different neckline variations. I cannot wait to get started!