Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Infinity Dress Experiment: Part I

I mentioned that My Honey and I are getting married this spring, but did I mention that our private ceremony will be on a beach in the Caribbean? I can hardly wait!

Since I will be toting a wedding gown and other wedding related items, I would like to pack rather lightly for the rest of the week. But, how does one pack lightly and still have a pretty dress for each night? Infinity dresses!

If you are not familiar with the marvel that is the infinity dress, check out these two sites that sell them:



Brilliant, right? If I pack a couple of these, I can wear them different ways and not look or feel like I am wearing the same thing every night. And surely, I can make this, right?

To start, I found a great tutorial here. For my dresses, I would like to do the waistband a little differently, and I would also like the skirt to be a half circle instead of a full circle. Before cutting into the intended material, I thought it would be best to create a muslin of the skirt and waist band. I began by measuring and calculating the half circle skirt. This is what I came up with:

As you may notice, that is a picture of a quarter of a circle, so one of those edges is on a fold. The inner circle has a radius of 8.5" which will yield a circumference that is twice what I want the waist measurement to be (including seam allowances). Since I am only using half a circle, it should be perfect. The 20" is the length from my waist to just above my knee. That makes the outer circle radius 28.5". If any of that is unclear, please feel free to leave a comment!

Fortunately, I had just enough fabric left from my lounge pants for a test run of the skirt. I began by cutting out the circle and the waist band. (The waist band is simply my waist measurement wide and 8" tall. Folding in half lengthwise and taking seam allowances into account, it ends up being a 3 1/2" tall waistband.) After a little pinning...

tu2066

... and a little stitching... I found that my calculations were right on! Not only does the skirt fit perfectly for the dress, but by folding the waistband over, this muslin is wearable! And, oh, so comfortable.  To finish it, I zig-zag stitched over the bottom edge.

Here's my artistic shot to hold you over until the weekend...

tu2098

I am thrilled that not only do have I a template for the bottom of my infinity dresses, but I also have a template for quick, flattering, comfortable skirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment