Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Infinity Dress Experiment: Part II

Today, I finished my first infinity dress. I think the word "experiment" was a good choice when titling this series.

tu4251

For this dress, I used two yards of a pink modal spandex jersey knit that I purchased on ebay this past summer. It is very similar to the fabric I used for my lounge pants, the remnants of which I used for the "muslin" of the skirt for this dress. I began with this tutorial in mind, but I did not follow it exactly. As I stated in my previous post, I wanted a half circle skirt as opposed to a full circle skirt. I also wanted a more finished and wider waist band, and two layers of fabric for the straps.

tu4262

This dress is almost awesome. I think the name "As Dress Approaches Infinity" might be appropriate.  My thoughts:
  • I love the half circle skirt. I think it drapes beautifully and has just the right amount of volume.
  • I like the waistband, but it is too big.  The waistband is completely finished (no opening behind the straps as in the tutorial) with a back seam lining up with the back seam of the skirt.  It is 3.5" wide and almost exactly the circumference of my waist.  I like the width of the band, but this fabric has a lot of stretch and I should have taken ease into consideration.  I will have to pick out that seam, make the waistband smaller (in length, not width), and reattach it. I am not looking forward to that modification, but I know will feel much more comfortable in the dress afterwards.
  • The straps should be wider. I cannot create all of the looks of the infinity dress without using fashion tape for modesty. I think if each strap was about an inch wider, more looks would be possible.
  • The straps should be longer. I will admit, I was trying to squeeze this dress out of too little fabric. The straps are 60" long, but should be more like 90" long. In addition, I had to piece fabric together to reach the 60" length, so each strap has a horizontal seam in the middle. I can style the dress in a handful of ways while concealing the seams, but there are styles I cannot wear without the seams being too noticeable.
  • Should the straps be one layer of fabric or two?  These straps are made of two layers of fabric with a seam running down the middle, lengthwise.  I think, ideally, one layer would be better, but I have a hard time imagining a fabric that would be stretchy enough, two sided, and concealing enough.

tu4258

I like this dress and will definitely wear it, but I am looking forward to using the first round of results to make an even better one. The infinity dress experiment will continue!

You can see this project on BurdaStyle here.

(I know, I should have included photos of the dress worn in different ways, but do you see that freshly fallen snow all around me in the photo?  It was cold out there!  I spent the rest of the afternoon in fleece socks, fleece pants, and a fleece hoodie, curled up under my down throw, with two cats on my lap for warmth.)

9 comments:

  1. It looks really good! I love the idea of these dresses, but torso-wrapping details usually don't usually work on my body so I haven't tried one myself. I wonder if you could double-layer only part of the straps (say, to where a shoulder seam would fall)? The half-circle skirt looks really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That's a brilliant idea to try a double-layer only to the shoulders... I might try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I love that color on you. And no wonder you were cold. GET INSIDE! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much! I wasn't sure about the color at first, but I think part if it is that it seems a little out of season. Definitely not a winter dress... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made the right choice with the color. And nice attitude pose in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From following the tutorial am I correct in saying the straps are just directly attached to the waist band ? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you speaking of rostitchery's tutorial (the one I linked to above)? She and I both stitched the skirt, straps, and waistband all together. When sewing, the straps are between the skirt and the waistband. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always behind and catching up on your posts :) This is beautiful on you! I totally understand your "almost perfect-ness" of it... you're so great and modifying that I bet your next one will be exactly what you're looking for! this one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much! I'm hoping to start the next one soon... (Friday night? Maybe?)

    ReplyDelete