Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Me And My Serger: Our First Project Together

I popped into a local Goodwill on my lunch break one day last week. When I came upon a bed sheet with a beautiful embroidered edge, I instantly thought of this "20 Minute Simple Skirt Tutorial" by Kathleen of Grosgrain... a perfect first project for me and my new serger!

This my new me-made skirt.

tu2656

Look at this serged seam!

tu2657

Mr. Hip Dropped Stitches was going to be near the sewing shop, so he picked up some cones of white thread upon my request. (Yes, he is the greatest!) I had yet to thread the serger entirely on my own, but I think did very well.  On my first attempt, I did miss one of the pins, but I was able to locate my mistake quickly and be on my way. I love this machine!

I whipped this up rather quickly. It took longer than 20 minutes, but if I were to do it again, and the fabric was already washed and pressed, and my serger was already threaded, I think 20 minutes could be realistic.

I really like this skirt. The fabric is so soft and comfortable, and the trim is just lovely. I doubt anyone (well, except all of you) will ever guess it was once a bed sheet, and I believe it will become a staple in my summer wardrobe.

This week's weather is not conducive to outdoor-springy-summery-skirt-photos,

Image by Weather.com

but when it improves, I promise to have photos to share!

4 comments:

  1.  Gorgeous work, darling!
    Love this skirt!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez... I'm behind in reading your blog :)  This skirt is too cute.  Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'll post a photo of me wearing it soon... :-)

    ReplyDelete