Sunday, March 25, 2012

My First Skirt Pattern

Last weekend, moving forward on my quest for a closet full of me-made, perfectly fitting skirts and dresses, I began work on my first skirt pattern.

I used this tutorial on BurdaStyle to draft the pattern. First, Mr. HipDroppedStitches helped me take my measurements. Then, I began following the steps to draft the pattern. The directions were very easy to follow, with the exception of one step related to the darts. It reads "Fold your dart in half along the line drawn for the front dart length (L to M) and, using a tracing wheel, score across the waistline over the dart bulk so that it is flush with the waistline. Unfold and draw in the new shaping." I assume this has to do with making sure the waistline is consistent after sewing the darts, but I think it will be anyway. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be ever so grateful. In the meantime, I am proceeding.

Using my newly drafted pattern, I cut the front and back pieces out of some thrifted pinstripe fabric. This fabric was very inexpensive, so I do not mind using it as a muslin. If it fits, it'll be a wearable muslin!

tu3450

Next, I will sew the darts, and then the front and back pieces together. I will see how that fits before drafting the waistband. I am excited about the prospect of having a skirt pattern that fits perfectly, with which I can create a variety of skirts!

2 comments:

  1. Oo, fun. You know how a dart in a pattern often goes out a little bit from the edge of the pattern? but then it folds smooth and matches up with the edge of the fabric once it's sewn. That's what they're talking about. Just fold the darts (in the pattern) closed as they would be when worn; fold them to the side the dart would be pressed to in the finished object, and cut so they are flush with the edge of the pattern. Then unfold---you'll have that little "V" just the right shape. Although, I don't think it's that big a deal at the best of times, and certainly not here.

    You may need to smooth out that sharp angle at the bottom of the hip, but other than that I think it's going to be awesome! (I love pinstripe...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you so much! I have not yet sewn darts, but I just watched a video on how to do it and now I see what you mean. Thank you!

    I was also a little concerned about the angle at the hip (although, it's not as severe as it looks, the smoothed out line is not showing as well as the original angle line)... the instructions read "If necessary, smooth the pattern at the high and low hip points, but do not shave off more than 1/16 inch." I smoothed as much as possible without shaving off more than 1/16th of an inch, but am now thinking that I can get it to be smoother if I allow myself to go outside of the lines a little bit (just not more than 1/16th of an inch inside).

    Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete